Hank Green

Feb. 23rd, 2026 12:35 pm
coffeedaiv: combing disparate elements (Default)
[personal profile] coffeedaiv

Just watched (with distractions) Hank Green talking about his early childhood diagnosis for assorted physical and mental and developmental stuff. 

And at  the end, he said something about how much he seeks to change himself to fit the world, contrasting with how much he seeks to change the world to fit himself. 

And that... I mean, that's a huge thing to me. And so I want write it down and think about it and know that i can revisit it and remind myself that it is a thing. Am I changing myself to fit the world? Or am i changing the world to fit myself? 

Is changing the world (trying to change the world) inherently selfish? And therefore, morally bad? that is what I have been told, my whole life. That anything I do for myself is intrinsically 'evil'.

And alongside of that, the messaging to change myself to fit into, to conform to. the world as it exists is persistent. And the struggles against this are the basis for about 90% of the media I consume. 

And changing the world. No one... well, I certainly cannot change the WHOLE world. But i can maybe change a part of it. I can exert some control over my environment. I can clean the kitchen, I can move the cat (who is currenty between  the keyboard and the screen, making typing an exciting game.  ) it is foolish to say that i cannot change the world. And so I amust do so with some sense of responsibility. 

change is hard. some changes are hoarder than others change is going to hapen. how willl i change myself and the world, to make it better, and better for who?
 

Profile

coffeedaiv: combing disparate elements (Default)
coffeedaiv

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16 171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 1st, 2026 09:58 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios